Dental braces have a number of uses from straightening crooked teeth to closing gaps between teeth. They can be used at any age, though the best results are achieved with children whose teeth and bones are still developing. Dr. Greg Blome and Dr. Sara Wubbels are dental specialists at Blome Family Dentistry in Lincoln. They can provide you with dental braces to improve your smile.
When Should You Get Braces?
The best time to get braces is between the ages of 9 and 14. In young children, the aim of orthodontic treatment is not only to promote teeth alignment, but it is also to help maintain a stable facial profile through adolescence to adulthood. Although orthodontic treatment for adults is more complicated, in many cases braces can be effective.
Why Should You Get Braces?
Indications that you may need braces include the following:
- Visibly crooked or crowded teeth
- Difficulty brushing around and flossing overlapping teeth
- Frequently cutting your inner cheeks or tongue on your teeth
- Teeth that don’t meet when you close your mouth
- Jaws that click when you are chewing food
- Speech problems due to the position of your teeth
- Pain in your jaw after chewing
Why Should Your Child Get Braces?
Indications that your child may need braces include the following:
- Jaws that click
- A tendency to accidentally bite the inner cheek or tongue
- Sucking a pacifier or thumb after the age of 2 years
- Early or late loss of primary teeth
- Crooked or overcrowded primary teeth
You’re never too old for braces, but don’t put off your treatment any longer, your crooked teeth or overbite won’t correct itself. If you are in Lincoln and you would like to find out more about braces or other orthodontic options, call Blome Family Dentistry today at 402-483-7000 to schedule an appointment.