Posts for category: Oral Health
There are different types of dentists to choose from, including general, pediatric, and family dentists. Family dentists are an excellent choice for families since they treat patients of all ages, from young children to older adults. This is just one benefit of choosing a family dentist, but there are several other benefits, as well. At Blome Family Dentistry, Dr. Greg Blome and Dr. Sara Wubbels are your family dentists in Lincoln, NE.
Family dentists are like many other types of dentists with the primary exception of treating patients of all ages. With a family dentist, children do not need to see a separate pediatric dentist. Everyone in the family can visit the same dental office. They provide a wide range of dental services and procedures, including general, cosmetic, and restorative. Whether your child is due for a routine dental exam and cleaning or you need a root canal, a family dentist can provide for the dental needs of your entire family.
Some of the services offered at Blome Family Dentistry include:
- General and Preventive: Cleanings, fillings, sealants, and fluoride treatments
- Cosmetic: Teeth whitening, bonding, cosmetic contouring, and veneers
- Restorative: Root canal therapy, crowns and bridges, and dentures
- Orthodontic: Braces and Six Month Smiles
- Periodontal: Scaling and root planing
Choosing a family dentist to provide for your family’s dental and oral health needs offers multiple benefits. A primary benefit is that the entire family can visit the same dental practice, which can save time and travel. Dental appointments can be scheduled for different members of the family on the same day and at a single office location, which can save a lot of time and travel not having to shuffle family members around to appointments at separate locations on different days.
Another benefit of having a family dentist in Lincoln is that family members will never have to switch dentists due to age. For example, children who are treated by pediatric dentists will need to find a new dentist once they are grown. Your children can continue seeing the same dentist with whom they are both comfortable and familiar. Since your children can stick with the same dentist as they age, the dentist will be familiar with their medical history and any allergies they may have, this can also make it more likely to continue maintaining regular dental appointments in adulthood.
A family dentist offers many benefits for your entire family. With a family dentist, it is possible to save time, reduce travel, and avoid having to find a new dentist due to age. To arrange your family’s next dental checkups at a single location, schedule appointments with Dr. Blome or Dr. Wubbels, your Lincoln family dentists, by calling Blome Family Dentistry at (402) 483-7000.
Need advice from your Lincoln, NE, dentist?
Dental hygiene is an essential preventative care habit for your oral health. Dr. Greg Blome and Dr. Sara Wubbels give tips on maintaining good oral hygiene to prevent serious dental issues.
How to Care for Your Teeth:
Here's what your Lincoln dentist advises:
- Drink fluoride-containing water and fluoride-containing products like toothpaste and mouthwash to help repair teeth
- Brush teeth at least twice a day
- Stop chewing tobacco and smoking
- Professional dental cleanings to remove hardened plaque that's accumulated on and around teeth and gums
- Floss at least once before bed to remove food debris
- Avoid drinking too much coffee and tea
- Dental checkups every six months to examine teeth and gums for cavities
Dental Procedures You May Need:
- Crowns: Crowns completely cover a tooth and are used if a tooth is weakened by a crack, fracture, large filling or root canal treatment.
- Root Canal Therapy: A dental restoration needed when someone has an infected or inflamed tooth that needs to be cleaned, disinfected and sealed to prevent any more bacteria from entering.
- Bridges: This restoration is similar to dental implants but it doesn't replace a tooth root, just the gap left from losing a tooth.
- Dental Implants: A titanium implant is inserted in your jaw to fuse with bone and replace damaged/decayed tooth roots. An abutment and crown are placed on top to finish the procedure.
- Fillings: Decay is removed from your teeth and your dentist replaces decay with composite, or porcelain fillings that match the rest of your teeth.
- Veneers: These porcelain restorations are similar to crowns but they are cemented on the surface of teeth to hide unappealing issues like dents, crack and yellowed teeth.
Severe dental issues may result if you don't maintain a healthy dental remedy. If you have any questions, or concerns, about good preventative care habits and taking care of your dental restorations, just call Drs. Greg Blome and Sara Wubbels at their Lincoln, NE, office at (402) 483-7000 today!
If you have a large family, who has time to call and visit multiple dentists at different locations for dental care? When you call Blome Family Dentistry in Lincoln, NE you can request to be assigned to one highly qualified family dentist who can treat patients of varying ages, from children to adults. Learn why it’s a good idea to have one dentist on call for each of your family members.
The Value of a Good Family Dentist
Building a strong relationship with your dentist is an important factor in ensuring your long-term dental health. When you've been going to the same family dentist for a while, they become familiar with you and your family. You come to trust the dentist’s advice and treatment recommendations. Also, when you have a family dentist, you’re more likely to keep up with your regular appointments.
Why One Dentist?
When you have one dentist for the entire family, that dentist becomes knowledgeable of the dental concerns of everyone in your household. You can also attend appointments together with your children in some cases. There’s a matter of convenience when you can make just one call to schedule necessary visits. Also, over time, your Lincoln family dentist may notice trends that may be causing certain dental problems, like cavities, enamel erosion, or gum disease, to persist among family members. For instance, some families have problems with juvenile and adult periodontitis in multiple members that can begin as early as the teenage years.
Treatments for Family Members of All Ages
The next time you see your family dentist with your children and other family members, ask about these common treatments:
- Sealants and fluoride treatments for kids.
- Braces and regular cleanings for teenagers.
- Invisalign, tooth whitening, veneers, and crowns for professional adults.
- Dentures and bridgework for seasoned adults.
Choose a Dentist Your Whole Family Can Trust
Blome Family Dentistry in Lincoln, NE might just be the place where you find that one reliable dentist for your whole family. Call 402-483-7000 today to schedule a consultation visit with Dr. Greg Blome or Dr. Sara Wubbels.
Find out everything you need to know about getting dental fillings in Lincoln.
Did one of our Lincoln dentists Dr. Greg Blome or Dr. Sara Wubbels recommend getting a dental filling? Often during those six-month exams, we find problems like cavities, which is why it’s always important to keep up with these routine visits. They could prevent more serious issues in the long run. But if you need to get a filling you may feel a bit nervous. But don’t worry; we are here to give you the 411 on your upcoming treatment.
What are dental fillings and why are they needed?
While it might not be pleasant to think about your mouth teeming with bacteria, it’s true. And these bacteria love to feast on sugar.
Whenever you consume sugar the bacteria turns it into acid, which wears away healthy tooth enamel. Over time, the acid attacks on your teeth cause holes to form in the enamel. These holes are better known as cavities. Once a cavity forms your Lincoln restorative dentist will need to remove the decayed parts of the tooth and then fill the tooth to restore its shape and appearance.
What kinds of fillings are available and which one is the right on for me?
There are many materials to choose from when it comes to getting a dental filling. The two most common types are amalgam (silver, gold, copper, etc.) and composite resin (tooth-colored material). Composite resin tends to be the most popular kind because they look most like real teeth so they blend seamlessly. However, amalgam fillings are usually more durable and often recommended for back teeth since they take on more biting forces.
How are dental fillings placed?
We always want you to feel comfortable during your dental procedure so the first thing we will do is administer a local anesthetic. This will numb the area prior to treatment so you don’t feel a thing. Once the anesthesia has taken effect we can use a dental drill to remove the decayed portions of the tooth. Once the damaged portions are removed we can begin to apply the filling in layers (or in just one layer if it is an amalgam filling). We may also use a laser to harden each layer. Lastly, we will also mold and shape each layer until we achieve the ideal shape.
Have more questions about dental fillings? Need to schedule your six-month cleaning with Blome Family Dentistry? Then call our Lincoln, NE dental office today to book your next visit.
If you have a fractured or severely decayed tooth, a dental crown may be the key to saving it.
Crowns are coverings for individual teeth, designed to support any tooth that has been injured or weakened. Your Lincoln, NE dentist at Blome Family Dentistry can use them to hold parts of a broken tooth together, reinforce teeth that have lost much of their structure to decay, or protect a tooth that has just received a root canal.
Your new crown will completely cover the damaged tooth, preventing decay and allowing it to better withstand the forces of chewing. Regardless of the cause of your dental concerns, a crown can help prevent further damage to a weakened tooth as well as improve the aesthetics of your smile.
You Lincoln dentist can make you dental crown from a variety of materials:
- Porcelain or ceramic: These materials are usually used to crown teeth that are visible when you smile. The exact shade of white can be customized to match the rest of your teeth for a natural look.
- Metals or metal alloys: Nickel, gold, chromium, or palladium may be used to create a strong and durable crown. Metal crowns are usually reserved for back teeth, which bear more pressure from chewing and aren't visible when you speak or smile.
- Combination: Porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns give you the durability of metal with the attractive appearance of porcelain to match the shade of your teeth.
- Stainless steel: These are considered temporary crowns, and may be placed while you wait for your permanent crown to be fabricated by the lab. Stainless steel crowns are also used for baby teeth.
The material for your crown will depend on the condition and location of your tooth, along with your personal preferences. Your Lincoln dentist at Blome Family Dentistry will help you determine the best type of crown for your needs.
Dental Crowns in Lincoln, NE
If you have a tooth that's been causing you problems, a crown can give it the strength it needs to be healthy again. For dental crowns in Lincoln, NE, call (402) 483-7000 or request your appointment now.